Pages

Friday, September 9, 2011

Fearlessly Feminine Challenge Day 6


Hello!  Welcome back to Fearlessly Feminine Challenge Day 6.  Can you believe there is only 1 more day to go?  i have been really enjoying wearing my pretty skirts and feeling pretty good about myself.  Today I am sporting a ponytail and a classic A-line Khaki skirt.  The weather has been cooperative for us, not too hot and not too cold.  Unfortunately - somebody - gave me cooties.  And now I have cold.  Not happy about that.  It is making getting out of bed in the morning a little tougher.  I feel a little like I have been run over by a dump truck.  It was expected though, hubby is just getting over a cold (my cootie-donor).  Both girls are still fine, but it is inevitable that they will catch colds too I imagine.    Kayley wanted to get her picture taken too and picked out her favorite skirt and top combo.  Right after I took her photo she went and changed clothes.  LOL.



I am a Latter-day Saint.  So, for today I wanted to mention another couple of food-for-thoughts that will pertain more-so to my Latter-day Saint friends than anyone else.  So, bear with me.

We know that it is unacceptable to wear slacks or pants to church.  We also know that it is NOT ok to wear pants or slacks to the temple.  I have searched HIGH and low to find a direct guidance or command or plea on this and have found several quotes that lead me toward more confusion than anything else.

I have found this:
We have advised our people that when going to the temple they should not wear slacks or miniskirts, or otherwise dress immodestly. We have not, however, felt it wise or necessary to give instructions on this subject relative to attendance at our Church meetings, although we do feel that on such occasions they should have in mind that they are in the house of the Lord and should conduct themselves accordingly.” (Priesthood Bulletin, June 1971.)

Sister Hortense Child (Counselor in the General Relief Society) gave her thoughts on the above statement by saying:
The Brethren who published this statement are prophets of God who are motivated by their knowledge of God, his purpose and plan of life, and a deep desire to assist us all to live happily and righteously. They have advised and given counsel. They have not instructed in detail as to what is acceptable except to say that we are advised not to wear slacks or miniskirts when attending the temple. Their counsel is to be modest and avoid embarrassment to ourselves, our families, and our friends.
When and where you young women wear pants, except in those cases that are defined by those having authority to do so, is a decision that you yourselves must make in consultation with your parents and leaders.
In Corinthians we read: 
“Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?  “… The temple of God is holy, which temple ye are” (1 Corinthians 3:16–17).

and Elder Hales has told us: Our bodies are the temples of our spirits.  (August 2008 Liahona)


So then, our body is a Temple.  Wouldn't this mean that we should dress to show respect to our Temple all the time? 
Elder Boyd K. Packer said:

“Temple. One other word is equal in importance to a Latter-day Saint. Home. Put the words holy temple and home together, and you have described the house of the Lord!” (Ensign, May 1993, 20–21.)

Not only are we told our body is a Temple, but our home is like a Temple.  Another place where we should dress to show reverence.


Elder Hales said:

Before you attend the temple, whether it is to be married, to receive the endowment, or to perform work for the dead, pause for a moment and ask yourself these questions: “If the Lord were to be at the temple today, how would I dress? How would I want to present myself to Him?” (August 2008 Liahona)

When reading about Sunday meetings and dress I stumbled upon this in the 2008 New Era:

Dressing appropriately is less about what our clothing looks like and more about what it means. While other clothing may still be perfectly modest, classy, or professional, women are counseled to wear dresses to promote a certain spirit of reverence. Dresses are generally reserved for special occasions. Modest, simple dresses show respect and invite the Spirit by how they affect our attitudes.

Uhm...  Don't we want the spirit to be with us all the time?  Why would we want to dress in a manner that detracts from the spirit ever?


But then I saw this:

Wearing formal clothing on the Sabbath sets Sunday apart from the rest of the week in our minds and, thus, in our actions. The Lord has given us this counsel regarding our appearance to help us, and those around us, develop a sense of reverence and feel the Spirit.

I'm confused?  Why do we only want to reverence the Lord only on Sunday?  Shouldn't we show reverence for our Lord all the time?

 
When talking about modest dress for missionaries Elder Robert D. Hales told us:

Consider why missionaries dress conservatively in a skirt and blouse or in a suit with a white shirt and tie. How might someone respond if the missionary had unkempt hair and if he or she were dressed in blue jeans, flip-flops, and a T-shirt with a tawdry printed message? That person might ask, “Is this a representative of God?” Why would that person want to engage in a serious conversation about the purpose of life or the Restoration of the gospel with such a missionary?  (August 2008 Liahona)

Wait - aren't we all supposed to be missionaries?  All the time?  Not just those who are set apart to serve a mission?

Every member a missionary,’” said President Henry B. Eyring, First Counselor in the First Presidency, during the April 2008 general conference. “I am confident that the day is coming that through the faith of the members we will see increasing numbers of people invited to hear the word of God.


I have been unable to find the document online, but I do know that female missionaries must wear modest skirts and dresses all the time.   Although recent changes are asking them to wear bright colors and encouraging tasteful accessories.

We have been counseled to live "in the world, but not of the world."  What does this mean?


Elder James A. Cullimore, Assistant to the Council of the Twelve said,

It is obvious the “world,” as referred to by the Savior, does not mean the sphere on which we live, but an environment created by individuals who live contrary to his teachings.
Just as the Savior prayed that his apostles not be taken out of the world, but kept from the evil of the world, so are members of the Church everywhere praying that by the power of the Holy Ghost and the priesthood they may be strengthened to withstand the “world.”
We would not want to be free of our responsibility of being in the world by being taken out of the world, for this life is a probationary state. The “world” is our opportunity to prove ourselves. This is a part of the great plan of the Lord, to be confronted with the things of the “world,” that we might overcome them and be strengthened.
There is a great challenge in living in the “world.” The concern is not where we live—but how we live. Obedience to the laws of the Lord will bring happiness and peace. We never need apologize for living the standards of the Church. 

 As a Latter-day Saint, I stand alone in this challenge.  My LDS friends are probably all rolling their eyes at me.  :)  I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that my parents are wondering what kind of a weird daughter they raised.   I do, however, have  my husband and many friends of other Christian denominations who are supportive and many are even participating!   It is a week of reflection and study.  I love bringing my skirts to the front of the closet!   I hope you are having a week of reflection and thought as well.  Thanks for participating and for sticking with me through this week!  Only 1 more day to go!   I know of a few who are counting down and ready for this week to be over.  LOL.  Thanks for giving it a try!  :)  You are all awesome!!



3 comments:

  1. Don't worry, our family think I have lost my mind! Homeschooling and wearing dresses/skirts. Forget the fact that we also don't have cable tv, and we have "media-free" days each week. They think I have totally lost it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I didn't get into the challenge everyday but I wear dresses/skirts often during my week (the girls too). But I ALWAYS wear a dress/skirt to church (whether it is Sunday, Wednesday, or any day of the week). My girls must do so as well. The boys wear slacks, button up shirt, and most of the time a tie. We are not LDS but IMO, if we can't dress up when we go to the Lord's house, then when do we? I've seen some people dress better for work than they do for church. I think that is backwards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have felt guilty for not commenting all week sorry Stephanie. It's been a busy week. I have been trying to come up with a good comment ...........maybe I'll have one later tonight ;). Glad u had a great fearlessly feminine week:0)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...