Pages

Monday, July 23, 2012

Happenings of a Homeschool Family

Hello!  I know my blog postings have been sporadic.  It seems like summer kind of creeps up on me and then has consistently been trying to melt me into oblivion!  Oh, how I hate the summer heat!  Terribly!  After traveling to Virginia and back again I have also fallen so far behind in so many different aspects of my life that I am just barely catching up!


I had posted a few times in the past in the Homeschool Mothers Journal link up and I was gearing up to do that tonight when I learned that HMJ has been moved to a different host and the link up has changed a bit.   Since I wasn't really looking to link up I thought I might just give my own update and catch you up a little on the Happenings of This Homeschool Family....

1.  My Life This Week:  Whoot!  We have a BUSY week planned for certain.  This Thursday will be Kayley's 6th birthday!  We are not going to have a friend party this year, instead we are going to do something a lot different.  I am creating a "progressive birthday party."  As we go through the day Kayley will receive envelopes with clues that will take her to her next stop.  I am throwing around a few ideas still but I really think she is going to LOVE it.  Shhhh!  Don't tell her!  It will be a surprise!

2.  Our Homeschool This Week:  I have a LOT to share in this area but I'm saving it up for next week when I will be participating in the Schoolhouse Review Crew 5-Day Blog Hop and it will all be rambled about there.  Needless to say, we are doing pretty darn good! 

3.   Places to Go/People to See:  This week = nobody!   Last week was the dentist for Kayley where they gave her a cap on one of her teeth.  She was so brave!  I was really proud of her. 

4.  Church and Family Activities:  Glurg!  As a counselor in the primary I taught Sharing Time the last couple of Sundays and again for a couple of Sundays in August.  The kids give me a run for my money!  Its summer and they are full of energy!  Yesterday we learned about honesty and I did a "Mormon Trail" race to the Salt Lake Valley.  I hung up pictures of 15 major landmarks on the trail and as the kids were given scenarios at each stop, answered questions about what the honest choice was, then they could move ahead.  A few scenarios were "uh oh, stuck in the mud or lost your cow" scenarios and they had to lose a turn.  It was actually pretty fun.  :)

5.  Whats We are Working On:  Routine, habits and character training.  We have been out of our routine for so long that it has been tough getting back into one.  I love routine and my kids thrive on routine so I know we need to get this going.  Not to mention bad habits are running rampant.  We are working on learning good character qualities.

6.  I'm Reading and Studying:  Right now I'm reading Coming to Know Christ by Robert Millet.  It's a review for Deseret Book.  I'll be posting about that later this week.   In my to-read pile here from Deseret Book,  A Perfect Brightness of Hope by David S. Baxter, More Than Miracles by T.C. Christensen and Journey to the Fringe by Kelli Swofford Nielsen.  I am enjoying a wonderful partnership with Deseret Book!  Since I have been swamped with requests from them I have backed off of my other book review programs.  I couldn't keep up with all that reading! I'm also excited to be offered a chance to review a program through TOS from Apologia called I Don't Have Enough Faith to be and Atheist by Norman L. Geisler and Frank Turek.

7.  I'm listening to:  Pretty Darn Funny, music from the web series courtesy of Deseret Book and Simply Charlotte Mason's Laying Down The Rails podcast (I'll be moving into the study guide this week when I've completed listening to the seminar.  It's all about habits training and it is SO interesting!)

8.  I'm watching:  Not much right now, but I'll admit that I love So You Think You Can Dance so I've been tuning into that every Wednesday night!

9.  I'm Cooking:  This week, I'm on the lookout for a Zucchini Bread recipe.  We are getting an abundance of garden-goodness from our neighbors!

10.  And I'd also like to share....  I made some changes on my blog.  It felt good!  I have been out of blogging for a while and just doing the bare minimum while I have traveled.  It had also gotten to where my blog was taking a direction I didn't like with all the reviewing I have been doing!  Once I got out of the habit of doing family updates it has felt hard to try to get back into them again.  I'm working on setting up a blogger schedule and trying to keep a mix of family updates mixed with reviews.  I love my partnership with the Schoolhouse Crew and with Deseret Book so I will keep busy with those, but I am going to back down on the book reviews from other companies like Booksneeze, Waterbrook-Multnomah, Tyndale and such.  It will be a good thing.  My blog needs swing back the other direction for a while! 

Many of you may also be wondering where we are at in the adoption process.  We are going nowhere fast.  Getting our profile done is still our main goal but we have just been so busy.  Not to mention that, busy or no, I am not feeling the PUSH to get it done.  With Kayley and Maggie I had the push to get our paperwork completed and ready to go but right now I'm just not feeling it.  This is ok though.  It gives us time to evaluate and reevaluate before we move forward. 

And, for your pleasure...
This is a picture of Gramma extricating gum from Kayley's hair.  
Fun fun fun!

1 comment:

  1. I have a recipe for zucchini bread and choc zucchini muffins too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...