Thursday, August 16, 2012

I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist - Schoolhouse Crew Review



Christians today often struggle with answering the questions of "why" they believe in God, "how" they know that He exists, and "what" to do when people ask about their beliefs.  I know sometimes I squirm when people start asking those questions.  I get confused and I don't know what to say.   I wish I did --and soon I will!  Thanks to the Schoolhouse Review Crew, I have been blessed to review an amazing Christian Worldview curriculum that is brand new from Apologia aimed at High Schoolers!  I Don't Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist by Norman L. Geisler and Frank Turek offers the student a deep look into the Christian faith and address the myth that religion is only a matter of faith - when in reality it is a matter of fact.  Utilizing their "Twelve Points that Show that Christianity is true" Geisler and Turek maintain, "once one looks at the evidence, it takes more faith to be an atheist than it does to be a Christian."

Together the workbook and text are amazing.  The workbook is what you would expect from Apologia.  Very thorough, very organized, very easy to use. 
 
Nicely spiral bound the workbook addressed key topics that include:
1.  Key terms/vocabulary
2.  Hook Questions - warm up questions to remind you about the text discussion.
3.  Biographies & excerpts from the lives of influential Christians through out the world.
4.  Ideas for further research and reflection
5.  Assignment suggestions including writing prompts and research paper recommendations.
6.  What Do I Do Now?  How to use the information that you are gleaning from the text.

The main content of each chapter is presented in four sections:
Hook - questions to get your brain juices flowing and get you hooked in to the information.
Book - takes you deeper into the text and testing your knowledge and comprehension.
Look - builds on your knowledge with research assignments
Took - summarize and "take away" of the concepts you have studied.

Each workbook section repeats this pattern for each corresponding text reading.

Some of the workbook questions were tough enough that I had to spend several days re-reading to formulate an opinion.  This study offers a lot of ideas and concepts I have never questioned or pondered.  Such as:  "Can you think of any areas in your life where you aren't as careful as you should be about discovering the truth?  Explain."  Like I mention later, it took me over a week just to read through the introduction and decide where I stand on the worldview spectrum.


In the book Geisler and Turek share the three major religious worldviews.  Comprehending how others view God and the world relative to Christianity adds to the idea that it takes much more faith to believe that there is NO God at all than it does to believe that there is a supreme being responsible for the creation of all things. 

The text is quite incredible.  Beware!  It is a LOT.  It is meaty.  It literally took nearly two weeks to just read through the introduction and first chapter alone - and that is without getting started on the workbook.  I am not scholarly by any means (it has been a while since I have done any schoolwork above a 2nd grade level!) and it is a well written book - not above my head.  It is just so much to absorb and it is all so valuable.  I felt like I was parched for the evidence that supported my beliefs and finally, finally I was given a cool drink.  Reading this study, pondering, reflecting and praying over the questions in the workbook are slowly, but surely, rehydrating my dry soul.  Amazing.  Truly Amazing.  Looking back at my book there are tabs and sticky notes decorating the pages.  Reminders of things that I wanted to read again (and maybe again and again) and then share with my husband!

While this study is geared toward High Schoolers please believe me when I say that this study has been incredible for me as an adult as well.  It has been so long since I have taken a college course and this really fed my love of learning.  This series challenges even the oldest student to learn the evidence and arguments that support Christianity.   It forces you to take a hard look at what you believe and defend it.  I enjoyed using this book daily as a part of my regular scripture study and then I would typically finish up my study while my daughter worked on her own schoolwork.  It is recommended that each chapter take 2 to 3 weeks although I can see how I may want to slow down even more and really absorb the material.  My husband and I have enjoyed some lively discussions based on the reading and I hope that I can convince him to begin this study with me! 

I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist retails for $16.00 and the workbook for $33.00 and can be purchased on the Products page.

You can download a sample chapter from the text or a sample chapter from the workbook to get a feel for this program.  Here is the table of contents:
Don't worry, for those Type A parents like me -- Apologia also offers a password inside the workbook to download free chapter tests and answer keys plus the answer key for the workbook from their website for a well-rounded Bible/Apologetics course for your high schooler! 

I know that several of my crewmates had an opportunity to review this product, to read their thoughts click the link below!
Photobucket


Disclaimer:  I received I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist free of charge in exchange for an honest review.  All opinions expressed herein are my own.

1 comment:

  1. I love Apologia and would love to see this one! Thank you for the review.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...