Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Happenings of a Homeschool Family - Coming Up

Whew!  There are a lot of things going on and a lot of things coming up!  The summer flew by so incredibly fast.  Schools in this area started last week and the big yellow school bus has rumbled down our street 3 or 4 times now.  Thankfully we are not feeling a sense of longing over NOT going to "regular" school this year.  In fact if you interviewed Kayley she would give you a full run-down on why homeschooling is so much better.  I think her biggest reason right now is that we are able to do all kinds of trips that we would be unable to do if she were away all day in class.  It's so true.  We have been counting down the days, waiting for the kids to go back to school so that we can head out to Bass Pro and look at the fish, enjoy the zoo or Discovery Center, or whatever we choose...without the hassle of a million other kids there.  

Although this year, we bought a small swimming pool...which has been SO fun.   It kept us busy in the summer evenings and we hung out a lot more together!  It has been nice to have this as the drought has gotten worse and worse.  I guess if we get thirsty and desperate we can start drinking our pool.  LOL.

With the drought we are seeing an awful lot of this:

Our backyard catches a lot of runoff so we have a really lovely green patch plus the pond.  We are seeing a lot of deer...and for whatever reason we are seeing a mama deer with 3 little ones.  I don't know if she is "babysitting" or if one of these little's have lost their mama but this summer I have been so grateful for our little piece of property and the protection it is providing for the wildlife.    

This goes for our beautiful butterfly bush in the front yard as well...
 
While I have let everything else go, due to the drought, I have worked hard to keep my butterfly bush alive.  I think the butterflies, moths, hummingbirds, bees and such thank me.  At any given time you can walk outside and see upwards of 20 butterflies on the bush...watch out, they dive bomb you when you walk by!  Keeping the mulch damp has provided homes to at least 2 different lizards as well. --and unfortunately a couple of hornets too.  (Sorry--I sprayed them, don't need my girls getting attacked by hornets.)  Just this amazing bush alone has provided hours of entertainment for Kayley.
 

In other news:  we went to the parent orientation for Classical Conversations on Monday afternoon.  I don't know how to describe my feelings toward CC yet.  Kayley will be giving presentations every week, our family will give a large group presentation in November, Maggie will go to a nursery, a lot-lot-lot of memory work, and in general I am mostly terrified and I walked away from the co-op orientation with a sense of "what did I get myself into?"  and "have I completely lost my mind???"


I keep reminding myself that it is for Kayley and it is literally all about meeting people and making friends -- not really academics in our case.  As homeschoolers we have to be intentional in making connections with others and I am making it happen.  I am not really a "go hang out with a bunch of skinny, trendy women" kind of person so if anyone has trouble fitting in and making friends...it is going to be me.  On the upside.  It is not school.  If I don't like it, if Kayley doesn't like it, we can walk away with no strings attached.  Anyway, we start on September 12th and I'm already losing sleep over it.  Ugh!  

Yeah, I think I have it narrowed down to the part where: I don't like being out of my comfort zone.  This definitely takes me outside that safety bubble.  It's been a long time that I've challenged myself in this way and it leaves me feeling insecure and freaking-out-ish.  I'm a bit nervous about losing complete autonomy over curriculum choices, sweating over how challenging it might be to memorize all that stuff, and the fact that I will HAVE to be someplace at a certain time on a certain day.  Not to mention Kayley is very, very hard on herself to be the best at what she does and this program will be extremely challenging for her...and I think, for the first time, she may not be the best.

Either way, I keep reminding myself that it is one year at a time and we do not have to go back next year if it wasn't a good fit for us.  I will still have flexibility.

With that being said, we are wrapping up a few remaining loose items this week from 1st grade.  We will be "officially" starting second grade on Monday, but honestly, grade levels at our house is relative.  We will be doing 2A/2B in Singapore Math, we are already midway through 2nd grade grammar & handwriting and we will be moving into 3rd grade Reading in about 2 weeks.  Kayley has expressed an interest in Astronomy so we will be enjoying Apologia's Exploring Creation - Astronomy series and she is also interested in learning cursive this year so we will be starting that too.  I hope it is a fun year...it will be busy for sure.

This week is also our local Rhea Lana sale.  If you haven't ever had a chance to go to one you should check it out.  Rhea Lana is a consignment sale.   I listed 85 items and so far in the first day I have made over $100.00!  Yay!  Of course, I spent $60.00 so I didn't really make all that much in the end.  LOL.

I have several reviews coming up...Everyday Homemaking, Reading Kingdom, SpeeKee TV, Marshall Publishing, Family Time Fitness, BeeYoutiful, Scripture Power CD, Understanding World Religions in 15 Minutes a Day, 17 Miracles DVD & book, Music Together and ZooWhiz.

Depending on how CC goes we may or may not consider bailing out of the "reviewing business".  There is a definite plus to it, I enjoy trying, sharing, recommending new products but I find that I am getting overwhelmed this season by the amount of work I'm putting into it...  plus it has made blogging more of a chore and taken over my blog.  I'm still debating on this one.  ;)  We'll see.

Oh, I am also planning a few field trips including Titanic, Silver Dollar City Homeschool Days, Sight & Sound Theater to see Joseph, and the Butterfly Palace (I won free tickets!)  There is also, possibly, a trip to DisneyWorld again before the end of the year --fingers crossed!  I'd love to go again!

I think that is a pretty decent update of what is happening here...  Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Stopping by from the crew to say hi and follow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a full schedule you have!!! THank you so much for your sweet comment on my blog, but I would totally NOT have called you to rescue me. lol. I don't want you to interrupt your day, but you are too kind!!! I have officially started the homeschool adventure. We purchased our kindergarten curriculum through Alpha Omega and chose to do Horizons. It's going well so far. You're the greatest Stephanie!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...