Pages

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Workboxes

About 2/3 of the way through Kindergarten Kayley started getting frustrated.  I couldn't figure out why...she was blasting through the subjects with ease and she enjoyed learning.  I finally narrowed down and realized how awful it must be to sit down to work on schoolwork with Mom...only to not know when it would be over!  It hadn't occured to me how frustrating it would be to not know when there would be a break, snack, "recess," or the end of the "school day."  I wasn't interested in being terribly structured, but I ultimately realized that my lack of structure was creating frustration for Kayley, so, we started using a WorkBox system that I have grown to LOVE!

We started with a single "workbox" (the blue one) and a "tool kit" full of school supplies (yes, also blue).  The workbox is a 6 slot magazine organizer.  I put Kayleys schoolwork for the day in each slot...and as she works through the boxes, she puts the completed items in the gray upright magazine holder in the center.  When the slots are empty - she is done for the day.

She has enjoyed the freedom that has come from the workbox.  It allows her to work independently on some things as well.  When she is done with her completed work, I file it in a matching file crate.  (Yes, the blue one.  hehe)  Kayley has really enjoyed being able to see the end from the beginning.  I never would've guessed that a lack of structure would've created frustration...but it sure did!

 
I have been a little stressed about how to track her portfolio.  The homeschool laws here in MO are really friendly, but we do have to track school hours and maintain a file/portfolio.  1000 hours per year, 600 from core subjects, 400 from electives.  ALL documented.  (eeek!)  The portfolio contents I have down, but the actual tracking...I still need to work on that.  I know there are some good software options out there - all NOT compatible with iMac.  I'll work on that.  I hadn't worried about tracking Kindergarten because K isn't even required here in MO.  But, I want to cover my bases and track for 1st grade even though Kayley hasn't reached the age of compulsory attendence yet.

If you noticed the red WorkBox, Toolkit and Crate it is because of my Type A personality...and in my wiggedy-whack desire to have everything match...I already set up Maggie's WorkBox too.  :)
We're already using it.  I usually keep 3 or 4 fun things for Maggie's "school work" in the workbox.  We only use them for school...and she joins us for at least 10 or 15 minutes (sometimes a lot longer!) during Kayley's school time.  I am not filing and tracking, but I have stashed some of her 1st artwork and will probably file it away one day.

So - there you have it.  WorkBoxes are awesome!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting! I love your workbox system! I would love it if you would link it up! http://adventuresinhomeeducating.blogspot.com/2011/07/workbox-wednesday-link-up.html
    I am now following you! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. here from WW, great system, I found the same frustrations occuring with my K, so glad we found workboxes! It's been a serious god send! :D
    Hope you'll stop by sometime, I do a Field Trip blog hop on Friday's www.chestnutgroveacademy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. We haven't "offically" started homeschooling yet (kinder)...even though we have done "school" a lot the past 3 years. I would love to start a system like this to get ready for next month! Thanks so much for the idea!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...