Friday, June 17, 2011

Character Training - Obedience

For this Stay-at-Home-Mom, (I hope that I am not alone and that some of you are/were a little like me) many days (for me it had been most days) I would end up feeling overwhelmed and frazzled and tired...and, well, I could just go on and on.  By the time my husband was getting home from work I felt like I had been trampled by a herd of antelope.  I have a 1 year old.  I LOVE my 1 year old.  She is spunky, bright, and beautiful.  I also have a 4 year old.  I LOVE my 4 year old.  She is also spunky, bright and beautiful.  She has been described as a Pistol (which I love) but, sometimes 4 year olds are, just, well.... FOUR.  Mine, on some days, is 4 going on 14.  (With out the whining, thank goodness!) But, I digress.  We have been struggling at our house.  It ends up being one of those things where, you have to shout to be heard, and you have to say it 12 times for it to get through...and, well, sometimes it just isn't worth the battle.  And then on bad days - really horrid days - you discover that maybe, just maybe, YOU are not in charge here at all.  Now.  I think something is wrong here.  I'm pretty sure that I should be in charge.  At least most of the time.  (gulp!)

So, we have backed off on our academic pursuits for a few weeks in favor of more spiritual pursuits in the hope that I can gain some semblance of peace in our house.    I'm really pleased to report that it is working!  (If it wasn't I never would've blogged about it I suppose...lol).

Here is what we are up to:

I am using Courtship Connections "Character Building For Families" by Lee Ann Rubsam.  I love it!  The first lesson is on Obedience, which is perfect!  It uses the King James Version of the Bible and gives you scriptures on obedience to memorize together...biblical stories/examples of obedience...and suggested topics for discussion.  We spent this last week focusing on a solid definition of obedience, what is expected...and what will happen if we do not obey.

  

Right now we are working on memorizing Ephesians 6:1 and Colossians 3:20.  We also are memorizing our operation definition of obedience which is
"We Obey: all the way, right away, with a cheerful heart."
 
I am also using several materials from Christian Light Education - Which I also LOVE!  Wisdom and the Millers tells stories from Proverbs and a Hive of Busy Bees is AMAZING!  It tells the story of 2 children who are staying with their grandparents and one child gets stung by a bee.  Grandma goes on to tell the stories about other bees who's stings are MUCH worse.  
The first one we learned is Bee Obedient. 
My handy hubby drew a wonderful, big, beehive - and as we continue on in our study of character traits we will be learning about the other "bee's" and adding them to our Hive.
 
 As we continue to add our bees from "A Hive of Busy Bees" many of them will start to overlap with President Hinckleys 9 B's as well! So we will also be studying those.
  
But, for right now, it is amazing how much stuff we can learn from the scriptures about being obedient.  Today we used the Nest Animated Bible Story of Abraham and Isaac.  We discussed how grateful we are that Heavenly Father doesn't test us in this manner today - but what faith Abraham had to be obedient - even though it was really hard, and the blessings that come from being obedient.

We also just learned the story of the Creation this week and it fit in well seeing how Adam and Eve were disobedient by eating the fruit of the Tree and because of their disobedience they were cast out of the Garden of Eden.  

Anyway - it is going great!  I have felt a lot less frazzled.  I felt a lot happier.  Our home has been a lot more peaceful during the day.  It is really wonderful to realize that, I do not make rules just because I like to torture my kids and make their lives hard.  In fact, I don't really make the rules at all.  Heavenly Father makes the rules...and there is a scriptural foundation behind each one!  I think my kids, well, Kayley, since Maggie is just along for the ride, feel better knowing exactly what IS expected and what exactly will happen if we do not do what is expected.  I was spending so much time just saying "don't do that!" "no!" and "stop-that's not ok!" that I never really spent much time training my kids in what IS ok and what they CAN do.  It has made such a difference in just one week!  Whew!  I love it!

1 comment:

  1. I just want to say thank you! I woke up this morning thinking how I needed to speak in positives... stop telling the kids what to not do and instead what TO do :) I wasn't even looking for anything on that in particular, in fact I was searching for completely (never completely) unrealated topics for a RS activity... Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...