Monday, February 21, 2011

St. Patrick's Day Unit Study - Day 1

Today kicks off a 12 day unit study on St. Patrick's Day!  St. Pattys Day is one of my favorite holidays so I had a really fun time planning this unit study!  I'm happy to share it!  We will be lapbooking this unit, reading several library books, watching dance, listening to music and a couple of fun crafts!
I have planned to do this on Mon-Tues-Thur-Fri.  
It will take us right up to Thursday the 17th of March!  
Have fun!


 

Day 1:  Ireland

Vocab:  Island & Emerald

Find Ireland on the map...  It is an Island.

Island = land with water all around! 

Ireland is called the Emerald Isle because it is so green and pretty just like the Jewel.

Emerald = a priceless green jem!  (Show a picture)

St. Patricks Day is celebrated on March 17th every year. 
It is a holiday to celebrate Ireland and its people!
But, you don't have to be Irish to celebrate...anybody can have fun on this holiday!

Read:  St. Patricks' Day by Carmen Bredeson


Here is what Day 1 lapbook looks like!  (oh, by the way...my March calendar is NOT a 2011...but I didn't take the time to find a cute little current one...I copied this one out of a book)



If you are interested in participating in this unit study, here is the book list that I am using if you want to request them from your library...


St. Patrick's Day by Gail Gibbons
St. Patricks Day by Mari C. Schuh
The Story of the Leprechaun by Katherine Tegen (prefer)
or The Shoemaker and the Elves (classic version) if you can't find or get Tegen's
The St. Patricks Day Shillelagh by Janet Nolan
Small Beauties: the journey of Darcy Heart O'Hara / by Elvira Woodruff

Our music:
Dance of the Celts
Celtic Dreamland
The Sound of Harp
plus-I have an enormous collection of other Celtic music
that I torture my kids with on a regular basis!!

DVD:
Lord of the Dance
Riverdance


and our chapter book:
Kathleen: the Celtic knot by Siobhan Parkinson (an American Girl Adventure)


Most of my printable goodies came from this free site here:
http://www.homeschoolhelperonline.com/lapbooks/st_patricks_day.htm
Check it out!

1 comment:

  1. I came across this article today; probably not something you'd use, but still interesting!

    http://www.aolnews.com/2011/02/20/legends-of-irish-giants-are-more-than-tall-tales/?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl2%7Csec1_lnk3%7C202712

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...