Friday, February 11, 2011

The Angel in the Marble

I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free...
--Micheangelo




I just read a really great book this week called "I Saw the Angel in the Marble" by Chris and Ellyn Davis.  The book is a collection of essays on homeschooling.

What I love about this book is that it has really got me thinking...

There are so many different methodologies and approaches to homeschooling that finding which one is going to be a good fit for our family has been really difficult.  They all have things I like but they all have some things that I don't.  And there are SO many!

For example:

Traditional
Unschooling
Classical
Charlotte Mason
Thomas Jefferson Education
Unit Studies
Eclectic

Oh...and that's just naming the few that were in the forefront of my mind.  
There are more!
Some are convenient for Mom, some are NOT!
I see MY learning style and preference in a few of them...and some of them look awful based on how I learn... I wouldn't like it.

Of course, how I learn, isn't necessarily how Kayley learns.
(Or how Maggie learns for that matter...my girls could be a lot different!)

Makes me realize that Micheangelo has it right.  Look for the angel in the marble and carve until you set him (or her) free.  It won't matter what methodolgy I pick...if it doesn't work for my child...it is the wrong choice.  My child is a unique individual who has her own way of doing things.  So, I've spent a lot of time over the last few weeks just watching her learn and grow, discovering her preferences to things, and to try and determine which approach will help set my angel free.
 I'm curious--other homeschoolers--how did you decide which approach to use with your kids?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...