Pages

Friday, February 24, 2012

Homeschool Mothers Journal

It's been a while since I have taken the time to write a Homeschool Mother's Journal.  I have been falling behind in personal blogging in favor of getting reviews done.  I'm going to be cutting back on some of my regular book reviews just to free up some extra blogging time.  :)


In my life this week…this has been a busy week.  I am SO darn disorganized right now that it feels like a daily struggle to just get through each day.  There are just piles of STUFF everywhere.  I'm trying to declutter but it seems that while you are actually cleaning...you are making bigger messes.  Of course, while my attention is turned to MY big mess, my kiddos are making huge messes of their own.  It has been challenging to get in front of the disaster...I'm still behind it.  I'm getting there.  


This week I set up a new chore plan, a new schedule and I rearranged our school room.  We'll be changing the way we do business in the hopes that we can stay more organized.  When things are a little closer to being done I plan to post some pictures.

In our homeschool this week…we've done nothing.  Yup.  Nothing.  We are taking Spring Break early while I work on Spring cleaning.  We have been reading.  Right now our read-aloud is the Jr version of The Call of The Wild.  We are also heavily reading our scriptures and doing a mini Family Home Evening 2 or 3 times a week.

What’s working/not working for us…we are ready for a change.  When we first started our homeschooling adventure back in Kindergarten, I was so paranoid of making mistakes that I bought K-in-the-box.  I don't regret it.  At all.  But, now, midway through 1st grade we are ready for a change.  I think we are ready to branch out a little more and move away from some formal curriculum and try new things.  I have been spending a lot of time reading reviews, researching and pondering what to do next.  I cringe when I realize that 2nd grade is right around the corner.  Granted, Kayley is only 5...and I can do what I want.  So, we don't 'have' to move up yet if we don't want to.  Which is good...because it'll take me months to decide what to do next anyway.  I love homeschooling in that it gives our family the choice.

We've also been working really hard at staying home.  We have done pretty good at saving money, I'm pleased with our efforts...but...we are so BORED!  I mentioned to my hubby that we need a swingset or something.  Our yard is so boring that there is nothing for Kayley to do outside but dig holes.  Mud holes.  Messy mud holes.  Come mowing season somebody is going to drive their lawnmower down into a hole and get stuck!  I vote swingset.  Maybe swimming pool for the summer?  Water table?  

Things I’m working on…our adoption profile.  I am SO far behind with getting this up and running.  I'm not sure why I am procrastinating this so bad.  We don't have enough money saved up yet anyway, so even if we were approved and were placed, we couldn't pay.  So, it feels like there is no hurry.

I also want to consign some of the girls clothes in our local Rhea Lana sale.  I've never tried this before and I'm wondering if it might not be too overwhelming, or if I'd make enough money to make it worth my time? I miss ebaying...I used to make such good money on there.  (wistful sigh).

My 2012 goals.  I know, I know, I need to do a check-in for February.  I'm writing it on my calendar right now. 


I’m reading…The Guardian Duke and When the Soul Mends for Book Reviews.  The Call of the Wild is our current read-aloud.  I know, its hard to believe, but I actually just finished reading Ender's Game for the first time.  Science-fiction is not my thing, but I did enjoy it!  There's a movie coming out you know...with Harrison Ford!  I thought I'd read the book since they always say the books are better than the movies.  :)  Quiet Moments for Homeschool Moms & Dads is a little daily devotional (love it!) and Be Centsable = how to cut your household budget in half.


 A photo, video, link, or quote to share



The Homeschool Mother's Journal To see what everyone else is up to, 
check out the Homeschool Mothers Link up 
over at The Homeschool Chick.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, there. Just popped over for a bit for a quick read. Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. And may I say your daughters are adorable! I just had to laugh at the comic you posted, that was pretty funny. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice to "meet you" from HSMJ - following on fb and gfc - I have a huge giveaway going on right now for Trail Guide to Learning from GeoMatters - awesome hs curriculum!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...