Pages

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

John Bytheway - How Do I Know if I Know? {Deseret Book Review}

It's spiritual gut-check time! The mission age has been lowered, and now more than ever, young people are asking themselves important questions:
  • How do I know if I really have a testimony?
  • Am I ready to serve a mission?
  • What does the Spirit feel like?
John Bytheway suggests that we "F.E.E.L." the truthfulness of the gospel through our feelings, our experiences, the many evidences we encounter, and our logical conclusions about how a loving God interacts with His children on the earth. Like gradually turning up a dimmer switch, understanding all the ways we F.E.E.L. our testimony will help it grow brighter. 
As you read, you may discover that your testimony is stronger than you thought, and you'll also become more excited and motivated to let your light shine!
 

It's been no secret that I love John Bytheway.  When it comes to church books and audios I think I have read/listened to more of his materials than any other author.  He is definitely one of my favorites.  He has a humorous style but is serious about teaching gospel principles.  When an opportunity presented to review his newest book How Do I know if I Know, I pounced on it!  Amazingly this book comes on the heels of my study of Faith in my Young Women's' Personal Progress and has given me a lot more food for thought!  

In this book John Bytheway tells us to not think of our testimonies as a basic light switch.  It's not just "on" or "off" but rather imagine your testimony as a dimmer switch with different levels of belief and unbelief....

Our goal, he says, is to take where we are at right now on the dimmer switch and work on our testimony and slowly our light will brighten.  Sometimes we will be surprised at how much we DO know, when we were thinking all along that we didn't!  We can better understand where we are on the switch by examining our FEELings.  Feel if it is right, Experience, examine Evidences, and use Logic.   He examines each portion of FEEL in detail using quotes from scriptures and church leaders and through real life examples, Bytheway brings a reality to the question "how do I know?" and takes the reader on a path to answers that will bring the reader peace and security.
  
If you want more light on the subject there are QR codes at the end of each chapter that links you to videos to deepen your understanding of the topic and an extensive notes section that encourages you to take your research even further.


John Bytheway does it right every single time.  I have loved every Bytheway book I've read and you will enjoy this too.  This is a great book to give a young adult who is preparing for a mission, a new convert, or even a seasoned church member who would like to deepen their testimony.  It is a small size that would fit neatly into someone's Christmas stocking!


Disclaimer:  I received this book free of charge in exchange for an honest review.  All opinions expressed here are my very own.  Thank you Deseret Book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...