Pages

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

I Will Lead You Along, The Life of Henry B. Eyring {Deseret Book Review}

Henry Bennion Eyring was born on May 31, 1933, in Princeton, New Jersey, bearing the first name of his father, who was fast building a reputation as a brilliant scientist, and the family name of his mother, who didn't care for the name "Henry" and insisted that he be called Hal. 
In 1970, Hal received an impression to make a daily record of his activities. Years of journals form the backbone of this personal biography, a candid look at his walk through life with his beloved companion, Kathy. "The journal shows how a good-but-imperfect man works each day to win divine approval," write the authors, and this window into his past provides unforgettable insights about the man the Lord has shaped him to become.Readers will love these richly designed pages, filled with photographs, sketches from the pen of President Eyring himself, and scores of entries straight from his journals woven into an engaging depiction of his life's journey. 
President Henry B. Eyring's professional, academic, and personal experiences have all combined to make him uniquely qualified for his responsibilities as a member of the First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. His life story vividly demonstrates the power of the Lord and the example set by one who strives to follow His commands.


I didn't know much about Henry B. Eyring, other than the obvious, that he is the First Counselor in the First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  Watching him speak at General Conference this year I realize that, since he isn't one of my "favorite" speakers, I have, sadly, not paid much attention to his talks.  I realized that I didn't know a thing about him.  So, since I was pretty clueless I was excited to read this book about his life and after spending days in its pages I feel like I've gotten to know President Eyring a lot better!

Here are some fun things that I learned about him:
He was already balding when he got married.
He is incredibly smart, I'm not joking when I say he is pretty much a rocket scientist.
He can draw/sketch and watercolor paint really, really well.  
He is the nephew of the late Spencer W. Kimball.
He went by the nickname "Hal" because his mother disliked the name Henry.
He served 2 years in the Air Force.
He was president of Ricks College (now BYU Idaho).
He has kept a journal his whole life!

The layout of this book is really interesting, not what I expected.  Each chapter focuses on a different part of President Eyrings life, punctuated with his own Journal entries and and his sketches throughout!   Since the 1970s he included these little sketches in his journal entries.  He said, "My sketches are not lovely, but the work is interesting to my family."  I think they are great!  At the end of the year he takes his journal, photocopies it, and gives it to his family members.  Isn't that a wonderful idea?  

There are also just tons of pictures in this book!

I have loved reading about Henry B. Eyring.
This book is not small, it is a heavy volume measuring 6 1/2" by 9" and has 560 pages!  It has taken me a while to get through it, but it is worth the time.

You can purchase a copy at DeseretBook.com for $29.69 in hardcover or as a Bookshelf eBook for $15.99.  Deseret also offers the eBook and Hardback as a combo for $34.68.

Don't forget the Bookshelf eBook app is completely free and available for both iPhone and Android devices.

Disclaimer:  Thank you to Deseret Book who provided me with a copy of I Will Lead You Along free of charge in exchange for an honest review.  All opinions expressed here are my very own...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...