Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Why I Don't Hide My Freckles Anymore {Deseret Book Review}

Women today are bombarded by harmful messages in society about their bodies and appearance. We often feel inadequate and overwhelmed by the impossible-to-achieve ideals touted in the media. And sometimes our harshest critics are the eyes looking back at us in the mirror. No matter the source, when our image of personal beauty is threatened, it's important to remember who the rightful beholder of true beauty is—is our Heavenly Father.  
The essays in this uplifting compilation, much like their authors, come in every shape and size, but each reaches toward the same conclusion: beauty is truth. And the truth is that everything God created is beautiful, your body included—freckles and all!
In this day and age, with modern media telling us what is beautiful and what it not, it is easy to get caught up in the trap that we are just not good enough.  I am not thin enough.  My teeth are too crooked.  My hair is so flat and thin.  Should I color my hair to cover up the gray?  Ugh!  Why can we not look at ourselves and see our true beauty and our worth?  Satan has set a trap for women in attempt to convince us to forget that our bodies are temples, beautiful and of value to our Heavenly Father.  He wants us to "resent them as prisons and abuse them with unhealthy words, unrealistic views, and harmful behaviors."  We don't want to do that!

This little book is a compilation of essays from several authors, everything from favorite Time Out For Women speakers to young children.  Edited by LaNae Valentine and Lisa Tensmeyer Hansen, each essay is thoughtfully written sharing perspectives on what makes a woman truly beautiful.  I enjoyed each essay and many really gave me pause and helped me to reflect on my inner dialogue.  I do not always speak kindly to myself and I need to do better.  Every soul is great (and lovely) in the sight of God and when we accept this we are free to see how beautiful we truly are.

I enjoyed reading this little book, each essay can stand alone, but together they make up a wealth of inspiration.

Why I Don't Hide My Freckles Anymore currently retails at Deseretbook.com for $15.29 in paperback and for $13.99 as a Bookshelf eBook.

Don't forget the Deseret Bookshelf eBook app is completely free and is available for iPad and Android devices.

Disclaimer:  I received this book free of charge in exchange for an honest review.  All opinions expressed here are my own.  Thank you Deseret Book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...