Being married to a doctor has its benefits. When we get sick or need medical care, we can just drive about a mile to my husbands clinic and be seen right away. We are on a first name basis with his co-workers and we can even get free "samples" of cold medicine, children's acetaminophen, or some other new drug. Now, don't get me wrong. I hate it when I get sick or especially when my kids get sick. Wouldn't it be great if we could avoid some of the more common ailments? I guess I always knew that you could...I just didn't want to try to figure it all out. Thanks to the TOS Crew and a great website called Vintage Remedies, you can take charge of your health and prevent many simple illnesses through natural, whole & healing foods!
A Parents Section in each chapter offers pre-reading for the teacher then a Read To Me section to read with your child. An Additional Projects section at the end is for further study - including simple activities to enhance learning. A section called Thinking It Over offers several questions to discuss with your children as you review the reading. There is also a section called Leading By Example that offers tips to Moms & Dads on how to make the suggestions included into a full life-style change.
I admit, I was not really prepared for the fact that this book started us on a journey requiring a full lifestyle change. There are many areas in this book where I was weak and I struggled with teaching some of these concepts to Kayley when I wasn't leading by example. Change is hard and this book made us take a hard look at some of our not-so-great habits. It is after much reading and thought that I have decided that we will start over with this book in January and use it to try to make a whole-foods lifestyle change a goal for 2012.
Kayley - reading labels and finding out just how BAD our panty foods were!
What we liked about Vintage Remedies:
-Learning about whole foods is desperately needed in our house!
-This is a great starter book for a family who is very unfamiliar with living a natural lifestyle.
-As we learned about appropriate eating habits, I had automatic "buy-in" from Kayley (especially when it came to eating veggies!)
-The recipes were Awesome! We can't wait to experiment with making our own butter & cheese!
-The book is really easy to follow and I felt very guided through teaching my daughter about whole foods, even though I am relatively clueless.
What we didn't like about Vintage Remedies:
-Buying many of the suggested items, especially in the recommed organic variety, is just too expensive for us at this time. I had to make substitutions.
-I live rural. Many of these products are hard-to-find in my area and honestly, some of them I have never even heard of and I was unclear of what I was looking for.
-I was ill-prepared for the magnitude and commitment that this book required of me (the mom!) so we ended up skipping around a little bit until I feel ready to make a leap of faith in some areas of improvement.
If you are looking to instill a love of whole/raw foods in your young children, complete with the how-what-why...this is the book for you!
The Vintage Remedies for Kids book is soft-cover, spiral bound, 202 pages. It retails for $25.00 and can be purchased HERE.
Jessie also makes a series for older kids called Vintage Remedies for Guys and Vintage Remedies for Girls and a ton of other support materials! Included in our package was a great bonus book for grownups called The Kitchen Herbal! To learn more about these products, click HERE.
To see what my fellow crewmates thought of Vintage Remedies, click HERE.
Disclaimer:
I received Vintage Remedies
free of charge in exchange for an honest review.
All the opinions
expressed herein are my own.
No comments:
Post a Comment