Tuesday, August 8, 2017

I Can Study Jonah & Ruth Alone With God {TOS Crew Review}

Teaching my girls to get into the habit of studying the scriptures for themselves has been a challenge. It seems that most devotional books are written to either preschoolers or teens.  Finding the perfect fit for the upper elementary/middle school crowd hasn't been easy so I was intrigued with the opportunity to review a book from the Alone With God series published by Greek 'n' Stuff called I Can Study Jonah & Ruth Alone With God (King James Version).  This Bible Study, written by Karen Mohs really fit the bill when it came to finding a Bible Study curriculum that my 11 year old could actually do independently and still offered her a challenge!

Greek 'n' Stuff


About the Alone With God Bible Study series:
There are several books available in the Alone With God Bible Study series.  With questions pulled directly from the Bible (your choice of the King James Version or the New International Version) the Alone With God series systematically walks your child through the books of the Bible.  Each lesson is designed to take approximately one week and the activities are divided into daily chunks that make it clear to even a young reader what to do first and what to do next.   Memory verses are interspersed throughout with prompts to help the child remember to recite and practice the memory verse.  Interesting sidebars also offer fascinating facts about scriptural terminology, complex vocabulary, interesting geography, and sheds light on the historical culture of biblical times.  Each lesson begins with a prayer and several lessons include a "Think and Pray About It" at the end that encourages the student to apply God's word to their daily life.

Alone With GodBible Study
Jonah & RuthNew International Version

About I Can Study Jonah & Ruth Alone With God:
We received the study on Jonah & Ruth.  A nice sturdy book with a spiral binding, Jonah and Ruth comprises a 13 week survey of the these Biblical books.  Your child will learn about Jonah and his mistakes and read as he learns to obey God.  Discover Ruth and learn about the blessings that come from choosing to put God first.  Each section is divided up into 6 bite-sized lessons, one for each day of the week (excluding Sunday).  Each lesson starts with a prayer, then asks your child to read or recite the memory verse for the week.  Following that, questions based on that weeks scripture reading encourage your child to dig in to the scriptures with fill-in-the-blanks to check for understanding.  The questions range from basic knowledge level to rhetorical questions asking "why do you think?"

What we thought of I Can Study Jonah & Ruth Alone With God:
I opted to offer this review product to my 11 year old, Kayley.  She is just at the in-between age where I am having a really hard time finding a scripture study program that is just right for her age.  She was excited for the opportunity and had a lot of feedback to share as she studied.

We were really impressed with the quality of the book we received.  Nice sturdy cover, a plastic coated spiral edge and the interior pages printed on heavy bond paper guarantee that this book will stand up to daily use through and entire semester of study.  Kayley was glad that it was "spiral instead of comb bound."  It allowed her to open the book all the way up and fold it over.

As "Type A" personalities and self-professed "box checkers" we really loved the checklist approach to keeping up with daily assignments and appreciated having space for Kayley to write directly in the book (unlike many other devotionals) since I really feel that writing things down help you to internalize what you read.


When I asked her thoughts on this Bible study, Kayley said:
It was very well written and some of the questions are very deep...which is good!  I liked that I could do it by myself and that it is in little bite sized pieces.  But, I'm not a fan of the "day of the week schedule" because we didn't always get it done that day and then it made me feel like I was running behind which was kind of frustrating.  If I could change one thing about it, I would change it to be listed as Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, etc...then I wouldn't feel like I had to 'catch up' if I missed a day.  I could just pick up where I left off.  Overall I liked it and I think I would like to do another one when this one is finished.
We really enjoyed this product from Greek 'n' Stuff and will strongly consider placing an order for a 2nd Bible Study when this one is completed!  Want a closer look?  You can check out a sample page here.

If you haven't been to Greek 'n' Stuff's website yet you should check it out.  Not only do they offer Bible Studies but, like their name implies, they offer Greek (and Latin too!)

Keep up to date with Greek 'n' Stuff by following them on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest!

Many of my fellow cremates reviewed Bible Studies and other products, like Greek, from Greek 'n' Stuff.  You can read their reviews by clicking the linky below!  

Thanks so much for Swinging By!
Teach Me Some Greek {Greek 'n' Stuff Reviews}

Crew Disclaimer


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...