Saturday, March 26, 2016

Risen by Angela Hunt {Book Review}


Finally!  Just in time for Easter I finished the book Risen.  I know, I know!  The movie has been out for a while, what am I waiting for??  The book Risen, by Angela Hunt, is a novelization of the motion picture and tells the Biblical story of the resurrection through the eyes of Clavius.  Clavius is a Roman military tribune (basically Pontius Pilate's right-hand man in all military matters).  During this time of "Pax Romana," peace is kept by military force and Clavius with his assistant Lucius, are overwhelmed when they hear that the Israelites so-called "Messiah" has died. When people claim that He will rise again from the grave and there is a frenzy of excitement and rebellion through the people when, on the 3rd morning the body of Jesus has vanished.  Pilate wants this whole matter cleaned up and quickly.  Jesus' body MUST be found before it causes and uprising among the people.  Clavius and Lucius are tasked with solving the mystery of what happened to Jesus in order to prove that there is no such thing as a risen Messiah and avoid upheaval in Jerusalem.  

Although she takes a back seat through though the book, I also enjoyed the parallel story of Rachel.  A widow, whose husband was killed by a Roman soldier, Rachel becomes friend and lover to Clavius, opening a door for him to consider the possibility of the truth and reality behind this person the people call Messiah.  

I don't want to tell much more because you may want to see the movie and I don't want to spoil it, but, I really enjoyed the book and following Rachel's and Clavius' conversion story was powerful.  This was a wonderful read leading up to Easter!  

Disclaimer:  I received Risen free of charge from Bethany House/Baker Publishing Group free of charge in exchange for an honest review.  All opinions expressed here are my very own.  Thanks so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...