Pages

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Act in Doctrine by Elder Bednar - Deseret Book Review

What do we do with the truths we know?
 

Each year, as part of my "resolutions" I tell myself that I am going to begin a deeper study of the gospel...each year I fall short as I bounce around trying to figure out the best way to make it happen.  I've tried working through the seminary books, the institute manuals, and other distribution center materials, and each time I grow frustrated.  I love that the books teach the basics - the basics are SO important...but I want something that speaks to my heart and teaches me what to do with the knowledge I have been given.  I was so excited to get a chance to review Act in Doctrine by Elder David A. Bednar!

From the publisher:
Knowledge is important — but it is only part of the equation in our spiritual development. Our happiness in mortality and our progress throughout eternity depend on our learning to “act in doctrine,” to live as we know we should live. In Act in Doctrine, Elder David A. Bednar shares key insights to help close the gap between what we know and how we act. “The essential first step in reducing the disparity between gospel knowledge and righteous behavior is learning about and emulating the character of Christ,” he writes. 

As we turn from self to to the Savior, we become better able to understand respond to the promptings of the Holy Ghost. Obedience becomes “the sweet fruit of honoring covenant responsibilities — not merely a chore or an option to be performed based upon circumstances or convenience.” This is a stirring invitation to all of us to learn, ponder, and Act in Doctrine.
    Contents
  • Chapter One - Acting in Doctrine and the Character of Christ
  • Chapter Two - Acting in Doctrine and Moral Agency
  • Chapter Three - Acting in Doctrine and Conversion unto the Lord
  • Chapter Four - Acting in Doctrine and the Role of a Teacher
    Read
  • Features extra-wide margins for recording thoughts and invites readers to ask, ponder, and then apply what they are learning.
    Watch
  • Links throughout the book lead to teaching moments on the DVD, which includes a Q&A session and an exclusive interview with Elder and Sister Bednar.
    Interact
  • Available as an enhanced ebook with embedded video content (features on our free Deseret Bookshelf app), and as a standard ebook on other e-readers.

So, here is how it works:  The introduction of the book makes references to and reviews material as found in Elder Bednar's first interactive book of this kind called Increase in Learning.  Using a blend of multi-media Increase in Learning and Act in Doctrine offer opportunities to read the material, view the video, explore online content, and record your thoughts.  Don't worry, you did not need to read Increase in Learning before reading Act in Doctrine.  Elder Bednar will give you a run-down of the previous book before delving into Act in Doctrine...  Chapters are linked to Seek by Deseret Book.

As you can see from the sample page, you read through the material and on the right-hand side you can see where it encourages you to go view the video segment that enhances this topic.  Extra-wide margins give you room to write down thoughts and impressions as you go...


The video segment is a Q&A with Elder Bednar and interview with both Elder and Sister Bednar.  Here is a sample:


My thoughts:
Wow!  Ok, First of all, the interactive learning experience is a great way to get into a deeper study of the gospel.  I LOVED it.  My only apprehension is...I cannot write in this book.  It is too pretty.  I can't do it.  If I could choose, I would prefer a downloadable and printable note-taking or journaling .pdf file.  But, that is just me - I just cannot write in an expensive, lovely book! 

This book would make a WONDERFUL gift!

Act in Doctrine in hardback retails for $21.59 at DeseretBook.com

Disclaimer:  I received Act in Doctrine free of charge in exchange for an honest review.  All opinions expressed herein are my very own...thank you so much Deseret Book!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...