Friday, September 14, 2012

Understanding World Religions in 15 Minutes a Day - Bethany House Book Review



I enjoy learning about other cultures and thought the book Understanding World Religions in 15 Minutes a Day  by Garry R. Morgan would be an interesting read...but...

From the book:
User-Friendly Beginner's Guide to World Religions
The world is becoming more integrated. What once seemed like the religions of exotic faraway lands are now practiced by families next door. These short, easily digestible readings give an overview of the beliefs, histories, and practices of dozens of religions, including Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, Christianity, and many more. Garry Morgan blends the knowledge of a college professor with real-world experience and an accessible style. Broken into forty brief chapters, this book can be used as a reference for those who need quick and clear answers or read straight through by curious readers.


Of course, as a Latter-day Saint and a Type-A personality I couldn't help myself....I thumbed straight through to the chapter on Mormonism to see what his take was on my religion.  After reading that chapter through three or four times I came to this conclusion:  Most of what he said is accurate - albeit - framed in a manner that makes us out to sound like religious fanatics on the fringe.  Some of it left me shaking my head because it was the first time I heard it...some of it left me nodding because it was true.  In the end I was confused because there were no references?  Where did all this info come from?  

I have since thumbed through several other chapters.  This book would be used more as a reference than a sit-down-read-through type but I'm not clear on how accurate all the other chapters are either.  It is not going to be in my top favorite books on comparative religions.  Since my religion was misrepresented I'm not sure how accurate the book is in its entirety. 


Disclaimer:  I received this book from Bethany House free of charge in exchange for an honest review.  I was NOT required to give a positive review and all opinions expressed in here are my very own.






1 comment:

  1. This looked very interesting, but you are right; it would be better if there were some references to know where the information came from.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...