Pages

Friday, March 2, 2012

Homeschool Mothers Journal


The Homeschool Mother's Journal


In my life this week:
It has been a crazy week.  We have had 2 series of severe storms roll through our area.  I have spent 2 sleepless nights keeping vigil over the radar, Skywarn chatter, listening to the weather radio, and watching "tornado TV."  I'm not sure why but I am completely terrified of tornadoes.  I have seen their devastation.  I have seen houses wiped completely off their foundation.  Living only 1 hour from Joplin keeps tornado safety in the forefront of my mind...it can happen here.   I've noticed that so many of my neighbors and acquaintances have such a complacent attitude about the tornadoes in our area.  In fact, one night last year, while I was nervously watching radar I had one friend respond to my Facebook status saying, "you'll get used it (tornado season)...I'm shopping at Target."  One night last season too, I was sitting at Olive Garden with a group of girlfriends when the weather got angry and within minutes the sirens were blaring.  Literally...people kept eating as though NOTHING was going on.  I could see out the windows, the rain was actually blowing sideways.  I, personally was ready to run and duck for cover in the walk-in freezer...but my friends laughed at me.   Perhaps I am panicking unnecessarily...but...the blase' reaction from people who live in this area is unreal sometimes.  Of course, not everybody is like this, but I've encountered it a lot.  Today, storms are bearing down on some of my friends to the East of me and I pray that they are taking the weather seriously and that they will be ok.

In other news, our new chore chart has been going great, our schedule has really helped us to have more time to do fun things and our school days have been going ok too.  My husband has been working tremendously long hours and we are all missing him terribly but somehow even though the days are awfully long, the weeks fly by so quickly.

In our homeschool this week:
We have been really enjoying learning about the Iditarod, sled dogs, Alaska, and the Great Serum Run of 1925.  I blogged about that HERE.  Kayley is learning 2 column addition with carrying, and 2 column subtraction.  She loves math. We have a new hanging workbox system that has been working nicely...it has really opened up some more space for us to keep more organized.   I know it is time to start working a bit more with Maggie, but I haven't figured out how to make that happen.

Places we are going/People we are seeing/Stuff we are doing
So much to do, so little time.  This is my month to teach sharing time in Primary, and I admit that I am really, really nervous.  I have been preparing for 2 weeks...and I'm still not sure what I'm going to do on Sunday!  Don't even ask about the Sunday's after that or I might have to get a bag to breathe in.

My husband is supposed to be planning the party for the Elders Quorum next Friday night...so, that means that I have been busy helping with this project as well.

What's working/not working:
We've been doing a really fun book for a short morning devotional called "God & Me"  Its for ages 5-7.  We are loving these short stories with questions.   Along those lines...I've decided that our Language Arts program just isn't working for us anymore.  Kayley is just too smart for most of it that it ends up being dreaded busy-work.  I think it is time for a change...  I'm not sure what we might change to, but I'm searching.

I'm reading:


100 Days of Weight Loss by Linda Spangle.  I have been blogging my 100 Day weight loss journey over on a new website called:   Fattery Will Get You Nowhere.  Stop by if you are interested in seeing how I'm doing. This book focuses on the MIND of weight loss...not the diet.  It has been really eye-opening to get behind the "why" of eating.

Something Sharable:

Can you believe how patient and cooperative our cats are?  Me neither.  They put up with some serious shenanigans from my kiddos.  And they are usually purring.




4 comments:

  1. Love the Mothers Homeschool Journal. Love reading how people are doing it in their own lives. Gives me inspiration and hope!!!! Thanks

    btw tornados are serious but getting worked up will cause to much stress in my life and the media hypes it up so I choose to pay attention to the feelings I get. The one tornado I was in we knew with out weather radios that we needed to take cover, and we did. I'm not saying your over reacting because everyone reacts to things in different ways, this is one of those things that you get nervous about and that's okay. I read a Dr. Seuss Quote today and it said this, "Be Who you are and Say what you feel because those that mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." I think your a pretty amazing woman and a great friend. Sorry you've lost sleep over the storms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, me too! When we lived in the mid-west, we had a terrible storm on afternoon while I was at work. High wind, sleets of rain, green skies. I was hiding in the back room! LOL Everyone thought I was being silly! They went about helping CUSTOMERS! Turned out a tornado had touched down about a mile away, but no real damage. Phew! Of course I'm from New England where we don't get many tornadoes.

    Heading over to see your weight loss journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know how people can be so unconcerned about tornados, they scare me worse than hurricanes ever could, at least you can predict hurricanes days in advance. It is good that you can see what is working and what is not working in your homeschool, don't be afraid to change, flexibility is one of the best things about homeschooling!
    Linda
    Being the parent of a ‘tween is giving me whiplash. Today her favorite subject is homeschool language arts, but just stick around, tomorrow it will be something different!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, I don't know that I could "get used to" tornados, they seem pretty scary to me! Maybe over time though. Because now that I think about it, I had never experienced a nor'easter or a hurricane until we moved to coastal NJ (I grew up on the prairie!) but after the first one, I don't remember ever being much concerned.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...