Pages

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Vintage Remedies - TOS Review



Photobucket
Being married to a doctor has its benefits.  When we get sick or need medical care, we can just drive about a mile to my husbands clinic and be seen right away.  We are on a first name basis with his co-workers and we can even get free "samples" of cold medicine, children's acetaminophen, or some other new drug.  Now, don't get me wrong.  I hate it when I get sick or especially when my kids get sick.  Wouldn't it be great if we could avoid some of the more common ailments?  I guess I always knew that you could...I just didn't want to try to figure it all out.  Thanks to the TOS Crew and a great website called Vintage Remedies, you can take charge of your health and prevent many simple illnesses through natural, whole & healing foods!
 



PhotobucketWe were so blessed to receive a product to review called Vintage Remedies for Kids!   Recommended for children ages 2-6, this little book by Jessie Hawkins is an entire lifestyle change rolled into one unassuming little package.   Divided into three sections this book focuses on Food & Drink, Health & Wellness and Healthy Lifestyles.  Full of yummy whole food recipes, each chapter offers an opportunity to taste what you've learned.  We had a great time making pizza, smoothies and yogurt pafaits!  We are excited in the near future to make our own butter and cheese!!


A Parents Section in each chapter offers pre-reading for the teacher then a Read To Me section to read with your child.  An Additional Projects section at the end is for further study - including simple activities to enhance learning.  A section called Thinking It Over offers several questions to discuss with your children as you review the reading.  There is also a section called Leading By Example that offers tips to Moms & Dads on how to make the suggestions included into a full life-style change. 

I admit, I was not really prepared for the fact that this book started us on a journey requiring a full lifestyle change.  There are many areas in this book where I was weak and I struggled with teaching some of these concepts to Kayley when I wasn't leading by example.  Change is hard and this book made us take a hard look at some of our not-so-great habits.  It is after much reading and thought that I have decided that we will start over with this book in January and use it to try to make a whole-foods lifestyle change a goal for 2012.

Kayley - reading labels and finding out just how BAD our panty foods were!

What we liked about Vintage Remedies:
-Learning about whole foods is desperately needed in our house!
-This is a great starter book for a family who is very unfamiliar with living a natural lifestyle.
-As we learned about appropriate eating habits, I had automatic "buy-in" from Kayley (especially when it came to eating veggies!)
-The recipes were Awesome!  We can't wait to experiment with making our own butter & cheese!
-The book is really easy to follow and I felt very guided through teaching my daughter about whole foods, even though I am relatively clueless.

What we didn't like about Vintage Remedies:
-Buying many of the suggested items, especially in the recommed organic variety, is just too expensive for us at this time.  I had to make substitutions.
-I live rural.  Many of these products are hard-to-find in my area and honestly, some of them I have never even heard of and I was unclear of what I was looking for.
-I was ill-prepared for the magnitude and commitment that this book required of me (the mom!) so we ended up skipping around a little bit until I feel ready to make a leap of faith in some areas of improvement.


If you are looking to instill a love of whole/raw foods in your young children, complete with the how-what-why...this is the book for you! 

The Vintage Remedies for Kids book is soft-cover, spiral bound, 202 pages.  It retails for $25.00 and can be purchased HERE.


Jessie also makes a series for older kids called Vintage Remedies for Guys and Vintage Remedies for Girls and a ton of other support materials!  Included in our package was a great bonus book for grownups called The Kitchen Herbal!  To learn more about these products, click HERE.

To see what my fellow crewmates thought of Vintage Remedies, click HERE.


Disclaimer: 
I received Vintage Remedies free of charge in exchange for an honest review.   
All the opinions expressed herein are my own.
Photobucket



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...