Pages

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Morbid Nursery Rhymes...

Kayley and I were just being silly.
I told her she was my big baby and that I'd rock her to sleep.
So I started singing:

Rock-a-bye baby, on the treetop,
When the wind blows, the cradle will rock,
When the bough breaks, the cradle will fall,
And down will come baby, cradle and all.

Kayley asked me,
"What is a bough??"
So I explained that it was a tree branch.
Well... After that, Kayley sat up and looked at me,
(A relatively horrified look actually)
and said,
"What!?
Why would somebody put their baby in a TREE where
she could fall??? Why would they do THAT?!?"

Good Question...
Who wrote these morbid nursery rhymes anyway?
Next time I need to find something else to sing.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, this is so funny!

    Just the other day, my mom thought she'd tell Trev some stories, so she began to tell him the story of Cinderella, which of course starts off with her mom being dead and the dad dying too. Next, my mom moved onto the story of the three little pigs before realizing that the story was kind of horrifying too. She finally quit telling stories after Little Red Riding Hood. Granted, she changed all the stories on the fly (the wolf threw Granny in the backyard, for example), but it was kind of crazy thinking about these "classics" and how disturbing they really are.

    Oh, and those are adorable pictures of your girls in your banner - what do you mean you can't get good photos of them together?! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have ya ever read the earlier versions of Cinderella? There's some gruesome tidbits that Disney leaves out... For instance, one of the step sisters cuts off her own toe trying to fit into the slipper. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my word, how funny! I love her concerned response. So caring and motherly! She is so right. Why would anybody DO THAT?! Being a mommy is the best- children are so great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. When my sister sings that to her kids, she changes the last line to "And Mom will catch baby, cradle and all". I always thought it was funny that we're trying to get our kids to sleep by singing songs about them falling out of a tree. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...