Sunday, November 1, 2009

It Bugs Me.


I bet my single friends, other adoptive Mommy's and other 'infertile' ladies will understand exactly how I feel when I share something that Bugs Me.

Why is it? that...

whenever I meet somebody new the conversation invariably comes around to:

"So...how many children do you have? I have 5."
or
"Oh, she's 3?" (referring to Kayley's age).
or
"Is she your only?"

I don't know why I let it upset me, but it always does...because whenever another Mom asks me one of these questions I immediately feel defensive.
I feel like I have to make excuses or explain why I "only have 1 child" and why she is "already 3 and doesn't have a sibling".

The problem is: I don't fit the Mormon Mommy Mold.
and that leaves me
feeling like I have to explain to other women why I:
--didn't get pregnant when Kayley turned 18 months...
--am not having another child every 2 years....
--have allowed my child to turn 3 without giving her a sibling.
--am not being selfish in just having 1 child

I haven't shared my testimony of adoption in our new ward yet,
in fact, I haven't shared much of anything with anybody.
So, they don't know my story...
But, I still feel defensive when those well-meaning questions come.
And while they don't meant it...
and
I don't know why I let it.

It bugs me.

(and now I'm cranky).

1 comment:

  1. I completely understand. I get the same question too. It begins with how long have you been married? 9 years Oh, you're 32 and don't have kids? Don't you want kids? People really do not understand how hurtful that can be to someone who would love to have children. So yeah, it bugs me too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...