Saturday, January 24, 2009

Remember Shari Lewis?


Saturday mornings at our house are pretty hard. I remember watching Saturday morning cartoons growing up and it frustrates me now that Saturday morning cartoons are so hard to find! They are all violent or inappropriate for my 2.5 year old. So, I turned some channels trying to find something we could watch when I stumbled across Shari Lewis & Friends on "qubo." Do you remember this show? I used to LOVE it... I always wondered how she made Lambchop talk without moving her lips! Anyway, it got me thinking about Shari Lewis and I looked up some info on her that I thought I would share....

Shari Lewis (January 17, 1933 - August 2, 1998) was an American ventriloquist, puppeteer, and children's television show host, most popular during the 1960s and 1990s. She is best known as the original puppeteer of Lamb Chop.

Her parents encouraged her to perform, and by age 13 her father taught her to perform specialized magic acts. She was also trained in acrobatics, music and show-business.

In 1952, Lewis and her puppetry won first prize on "Arthur Godfrey's Talent Scouts" television show. In March 1956, Shari and Lamb Chop were on Captain Kangaroo and by 1960 she had her own television program. She graduated to network television in 1960 as host and puppeteer of The Shari Lewis Show. The programs featured such characters as Hush Puppy, Charlie Horse, and Lamb Chop. Subsequent television programs introduced these characters to a new generation of children. In 1992, her new show Lamb Chop's Play Along began a five year run.

In June 1998 Shari was diagnosed with uterine cancer and while undergoing treatment she died at the age of 65 after developing pneumonia. (Wikipedia).

Anyway, I always enjoyed this show, and it looks like Kayley is pretty enthralled with it too.
Do you remember this show?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...